Sunday, April 20, 2008

O'Sullivan's Island / Naugatuck River Dispatch...

22.38 East Derby.

Went out late today for only about a little over an hour but that was all I needed for what I got accomplished - which was rather startling for a change. For starter's - the area looked good - which caught me off gaurd since that dreaded slaughter called "Fishing Season" just started. I saw numerous dead fish floating in the lagoon area - what a great sport - huh ??? Then I noticed after a long search that my pal the little loon was nowhere to be found. I did see lots of adult black loons in the trees - but no little loon. Perhaps the little guy figured out how to fly ?? Maybe a Hawk got him ?? Maybe a fuckin human finished him off ?? There is no way to tell - all I know is he vanished without a trace. I then went up the Naugatuck River and noticed that it seemed cleaner than usual as well. Then again - it was low tide. When it's high tide - that's when all the shit comes in... speaking of shit - as I was near where the Franklin Apartments are - I noticed an aroma of sewage wafting through the air and found a drainage pipe dumping raw sewage right into the river. Yesh ! Pure Grade A shit - among other thing's... So who can I turn to ?? The Housatonic Valley Assoc told me I was out of luck the last time I turned in a factory for discharging something horrible into the river. Funny how they pick and choose their causes... which is why I ended up leaving them... they simply do not care about the river south of the Derby Shelton Dam. I know why too - lack of funds from this area. But that's ok - because I'm out as often as possible monitoring the river on my own in the name of A.T.W.A which for me is not only a religion - it's my way of life.

So I came home once it was dark - actually some of this mission took place in darkness - I love my night trips - and I had a couple of Guinness Extra Stouts as a reward and I listened to some Box of Crayons off their latest CD - the one with "Hot Mary" on it. I love them - they rule...

22.55
Monday: Kayak south to the Merrit Parkway bridge and back.
Earth Day: Canoe all day in the water's around O'Sullivan's Island.
Wednesday: Uncertain as of yet.

- Earth...
Air Trees Water Animals
All The Way Alive

No comments: