Tuesday, April 15, 2008

O'Sullivan's Island Dispatch

22.36 East Derby

Today: Went out on foot to check the lagoon out towards dusk. It figures... the one day I don't show up with the kayak or canoe - the river is calm - dam was not discharging this evening. But that's ok, I was out for a walk anyway looking for my friend, the little loon... and I found him - calmly drifting along - looking very peaceful... I wonder how it is for him - growing up with no peers. I bought today a pair of binoculars and a tide watch so I got to try out the new binoc's - wow - they are incredible - even in low light - what a difference from the pair Gina gave me - which incidently are actually quite good themselves... I spoke with a couple of fishermen - the good guy's - and mentioned the loon to them. One told me that he is quite tame - and swims right up to within a few feet of the fly fishermen in the water. Poor thing !! I pray he make's it somehow...

Yesterday: Went on a real good trip with the K-140 kayak south to the Merrit Parkway bridge and really analyzed the entire area. Basically, from Two Mile Brook south to Sikorsky Aircraft - the entire river banks are for the most part nothing but plastic bottles and misc. trash, etc... It's too bad the HVA does not get involved with a massive clean-up effort - but I've given up on them doing anything down here... Once again, spent quite some time with the little loon - he was on a rocky little patch of land since the tide was out - I felt bad for him - he eventually made his way into the water - but not without great effort. The little guy really has a hard time getting around. I need to research loons in further depth to see how they are when young - if they can fly - etc...

I'm not happy that it's getting warm out. Two days ago I did a detailed cleanup of the entire area around O'Sullivan's Island - and tonight - there was litter in the waterways once again. W.T.F ?? I mean - come on - only two days later and the area looks like crap already... How Sad...

20.53
But there is a bright light on the horizon: I am looking to transfer out from my current job and go back to a 2nd shift position inside the shop - this will give me much more time to dedicate to saving the ecology - and also to the Fire Service... Tomorow will be an important day for me at "the job" since I have notified the proper people via email last week about my intentions - it will be a couple of interesting weeks ahead for me...

I should be going back out on Sunday.

For the Air Tree's Water Animals,
- Earth...

No comments: