Thursday, April 10, 2008

O'Sullivan's Island Dispatch...

12.38 East Derby.
Backtracking to yesterday: Took the kayak out on what was going to be a trip south to Sikorsky AC but instead concentrated in the immediate vicinity of O'Sullivan's Island - which proved to be very benificial. Went up the Naugatuck River towards Division Street - could not believe how severe the trash / rubbish issue has become along the river bank behind the houses ( mostly section 8 ) on Derby Ave... it's a disgrace how this is allowed to continue and the city does nothing about it except go after hard working folks trying to run business's out of their homes. I saw a woman with a wheel barrel dump a load of trash directly above me. Once she realized I saw her, the staring contest began. I have yet to lose when it comes to this because I never back down. She eventually retreaded.

I then found the little loon who is injured. He definately has a 5 inch piece of like 40# test sticking out of his belly area... Still unable to determine if it wraps around him as well - I do not believe it does. Therefore - the only conclusion is that he has been hooked. It does bother him - because I watched for quite sometime the little guy trying to free himself. I also for the first time seen him dive under water numerous times. He seems to be able to swim and dive well but does poorly on land and apparently cannot fly. I watch him flap his wing's numerous times - they do not appear to be caught on anything - I'll have to closely continue monitoring this little guy every chance I can... which I've been doing now for a month...

A legitimate question would be why don't I free him. If it were only that simple. I could easily catch him but risk further injury since I am not trained in this type of work. I hope to be soon through the C.W.R.A. but they don't really go out of their way to get back to me after I have expressed desire to join their orginazation.

12.51
It's definately getting warmer out. The trash in the river is increasing at an alarming pace. This is going to be a bad year. My main objective will be the wildlife. Litter will take a back seat except for debris which is hazzardous to birds / wildlife.

12.53
The Tara J. Sullivan folder's I found have been turned over to the Shelton Police.

For a different slant on this post - go to http:earthboundatwa.wordpress.com in about a day or so...

Give-Forgive-Respect,
Earth...

No comments: