Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Housatonic River / O'Sullivan's Island Dispatch...

22.43 East Derby.
Wow - a very productive 3 days... backtracking to Sunday: Took the "JeniferLynn" out on a river clean-up project which basically covered the Housatonic River from O'Sullivan's Island north to the Derby Shelton Dam. Trip was very productive... very productive - in the sense that this is the first time I've been able to make it there in quite some time since the Stevenson Dam was not discharging any water but seriously - retrieved quite a bit of litter and left the area satisfied. Looked at the Shelton Canal for quite sometime and still could not imagine high density housing in it's place... this is one fight I hope the HVA puts maximum effort into. I later spent quite sometime around where the Naugatuck flows into the Housatonic once I saw that my work for this particular mission was complete. The view was spectacular - I always love sunsets and the period of time afterwards before it becomes completely dark. When I returned to the boat launch I saw a very curious sight: A white 55 gal drum was floating down the river. These thing's always look erie at night. What was even spookier was the blue 55 gal drum used for rubbish at the boat launch full ablaze. Of course I was the only one there - which always adds an extra element of caution when something's not right. Lucky for me - there was a huge plank of wood which I put the fire out with - then doused it with ice cold river water from my bailing pail... As a side note - later that night we responded to a suspicious porch fire in a new development near the Hotchkiss Hose. Hmmmm... makes me wonder just what is really going on... On Monday, I took out "Temperance" for a long trip south towards Sikorsky AC and as luck would have it - I left later than desired but got as far as I could regardless due to the stron winds out of the south. I made it within a half to three quarters of a mile of Sikorsky BUT managed to do a fairly good clean up effort along the way - too and from if I may so add... Today - I walked around O'Sullivan's Island and retrieved quite a bit of litter without even trying... which made me rather sad. I saw a couple of beavers in different locations - I wonder how they are doing this winter... did not see any other sign's of life except for birds ( ducks, heron, sea gulls, sparrows, buzzards... ) and I made a special extra observation to make sure they were all intact - meaning no missing legs, etc...

22.53
I'm so happy that Morning Glory responded favorably to my friend request - she is someone I greatly admire... X ( aka Noel ) sent me a nice reply via the Defenders site inquiring about how I am... next time I will have real good news for her... which of course is good news for me - from me... nothing like keeping it real...

22.56
Sent Ken from the Adopt-a-Spot an update - he did not reply - which is very unusual for him... hope all is well on his end.

That's it for this week as far as my missions in the name of ATWA is concerned - I'll be back in action on Sunday - Please Stay Tuned !!

All The Way Alive,
- earth...
Air Trees Water Animals...

No comments: