Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Housatonic River dispatch

21.42 East Derby.
Took the Old Town Predator K-140 out for a 7.5 hour trip today down the mighty Housatonic... from Derby to Sikorsky AC and back. The trip itself was wonderful - it's always good to be out on the water but the amount of trash on the river banks south of Derby is biblical to say the least. Where is the HVA when it come's to this matter ?? Nowhere - because I used to try to clue them in to many problem area's I would find - which in turn would be kicked right back to me - nice huh ??

Trip was very un-eventfull until I was back at O'Sullivan's Island. I decided to make a pass inbetween the "twin forks" when I found what appears to be a sick or injured loon. I looked at the poor guy for quite some time - I am always suspicious when I can get right up close - and I realized that something was / is wrong with it's legs. Because the area was full of fly fishermen - and nightime was closing in - after some carefull monitoring - I determined that this poor creature could get around on it's own - but cannot fly - why I do not know. Is it maybe a baby loon ?? I do not know - but I will be back tomorow to pay the loon another visit... Interestingly enough, I also saw a beautiful duck who was also acting kind of strange - I was able again to get within 10 feet - which is normally impossible to do - same with the loon, that never happens - so I will have to further investigate. Where are the C.W.R.A. folks ?? Probably with the H.V.A. people... I need to find out what the fuck happened with my C.W.R.A. membership - because if anyone should be trained in wildlife rehab - it should be me...

I'll be back here tomorrow.
- Earth...

No comments: