Sunday, February 10, 2008

O'Sullivan's Island dispatch

20.44 East Derby.
Today was one of those days where I slept in nice and late then had some time to decide what I was going to do. The weather kinda could be described as changable skys but the temp's seemed to be well above freezing so I decided to load up the JeniferLynn canoe and do some river clean-up. As soon as I got to the boat launch I started wondering if this was really a good idea or not. I first stopped off at my parents house - and from there drove to the boat launch and noticed serious storm clouds off in the distance - but heading towards me none the less. So - by 15.00 hrs I was on the water - with a very swift current and strong winds out of the north west really pro-pelling me along - sideways no less !! Good thing it was high tide.

I started doing clean up right away and soon realized I was going to really load up on garbage today. I saw 1 man fishing - who was one of the few honest and caring fishermen - a rare but welcome breed indeed - and I spoke with him briefly before heading up the Naugatuck River side of O'Sullivan's Island. I was able to journey down the secret stream towards the secret lagoon but the tide was already going out so there was no way I was getting in there. No sign's of life what so ever... So I then backtracked out and continued back up the Naugatuck River and did quite a bit of clean up work on the O'Sullivan's Island side - then I went to the Derby Ave side prior to the Atwater Bridge and headed back out towards the Housatonic River. Just as I approached where the Naugatuck flows into the mighty Housatonic - it suddenly got real windy and then it started snowing. Light at first - then nice big flakes. I was a little wetter than usual from my clean up work so I figured now was a good time to head back. I had maybe a quarter mile to go back to the boat launch when the snow and wind really gained intensity - and I was rowing as hard as I could into this storm and strong current. Everything was suddenly going against me. Gear was starting to freeze up... and visability droped significantly. I was now in a strong snow squal - and loving every minute of it !! I thought of how great it was to be "one with the elements" and really felt good about where I was, what I was doing, and who I am... this was absolutely beautiful !! I also knew my parent's were probably worried about me being blown down the river - which actually could have been a real possibility if I was else where on the river - but where I was I had options even if I could not make it to the boat launch. Of course, once I got on dry land - it was not over. Now I was confronted with having to put the canoe on the jeep in high winds and get it secured in place - without having it fly off. Lucky for me - I pulled it off. As the jeep warmed up - so did I.

21.02
So I pulled into the driveway - and called my folks to let them know I was safe and sound. Miss Alison happened to have her kitchen blinds open - and took a glance towards me - actually a couple of times - and I was surprised she did not try to conceal it either. Then Matt showed up - and went inside for a bit - when he came back out to leave - I was out and we chatted for a bit - then I put the JeniferLynn away for another day on top of my old beloved C-10 truck.

A little while ago, I went into B/R # 2 to fire up the video equipment since tonight will be movie night again. Could not help but notice that Miss Alison's blinds were STILL open !! Maybe there is hope for me yet... I used to tell people that you really know you are ugly when you come home and your neighbor closes her blinds !!
Ha Ha !! Actually - I kinda liked that when she would shut her blinds with such conviction... because that Ugly George is home...

21.09
Today's work can be chalked up as another day of major progress in my struggle for saving our Air Tress Water and Animals... which is always a good thing. I am now basically going public with my real displeasure with the HVA folks... they'll do fine without me being a part of their "strange" orginazation. I cannot understand what it is exactly that they the staff actually do. They certainly do not coordinate any follow up with anything I have reported - so I see no reason to tell them anything. Beside's - I've got the City of Derby's Adopt-a-Spot program as a major source of support and help for my struggle for ATWA.

I am not too sure if I am going back out this week. Tomorrow will be too cold. Tuesday - maybe... it's to be in the upper 30's but it might be raining - I'll have to monitor the weather closely to see if this will actually be the case. What I hit today was a major cold front which triggered the wild snow squalls I experienced towards the end of todays mission. Another one for the books !!

Tonight: Relax and stay warm with the cats.

Monday: Run errands - household chores...

Tuesday: see Karen for a haircut, ask if she wants to join me for a trip to the Conn Collage arboretum later in the summer where I will shoot some 35mm print film for the 2009 nature photo comp. Then if the weather permits - head out on the water for my ATWA related work once again.

Weds thru Sat: back to work at the defense plant...
Sun thru Tues: back to ATWA !!

Enjoy !
- Earth, All The Way Alive !!

No comments: