Sunday, February 3, 2008

Housatonic River Dispatch/The day after Ground Hog day...

22.33 East Derby.
Todays trip was real good and productive. Took the JeniferLynn rowing canoe out since I expected a ton of work to do. I saw a kid with his mother near the railroad trestle on the greenway wave to me - I waved back... the mother did nothing. Kids are so pure - they have not yet learned all the evils of society. I attempted to go further north passed the bridge to check out the rest of O'Sullivan's Island - but the current was too swift - so I headed south towards the Two Mile Island area. Weather was mild for this time of year - but then again, I recall mild weather in Feburary back in 1982 when I was hanging out with Kathy Abdulahad and her Asian friend who's name escapes me... I retrieved quite a bit of rubbish out of the river and off the riverbanks near Two Mile Island - on the Derby side - just prior to the Orange town line... then the sun started to set and I installed my running lights while on land and took a nice slow journey back to O'Sullivan's Island. It was beautiful. Peacefull, calm, very very pleasent... Nothing bad to report at all about this mission... except that my next one won't be until probably next Sunday due to bad weather tomorrow and Tuesday.
I did see a beaver who was caught in the current with me - he did not look to happy and opted to swim under water. Lots of the black diving ducks, and mallard ducks too... the occasional heron, crows, hawks... no eagles though - which was the main reason why I went out yesterday...

22.42
Just heard on WBAI peace and justice radio that the Giant's won the Super Bowl... which I guess is a good thing. I always liked the Jets when I was little. Today - at this very time - was when the "Day after Ground Hog Day party" was in full swing 12 years ago. Tonight was much more peacefull - I listened to the Dubliners for a bit while the cans of Schaffer were going down - then listened to some Box of Crayon's... I like the CD I worked on better than this release which might be deemed too commercial... There was an amazing program on PBS about elephants which had once again a profound effect on me - like the first time I saw it. Elephants are such magnificant animals - so smart and intelligent... to think that mankind get's off on exploiting them is beyond belief...

22.49
Per A.C. I emailed the Col. last night and am now hoping for the best. I noticed that a new member named Kay is now a team member too - she is from ( where else ??? ) PA !! What is it with all these girls from PA who are into Charlie / ATWA ?? Are there really so many or is it the same person with different identities ??

Since this is the enviromental blog now - there won't be too many updates unless I'm actually doing something related to the enviroment - or I hear something ATWA or Health related which I feel is worth mentioning...

Tomorrow: visit Leslies gravesite, then zoom to Conn Collage.
Tomorrow nite: probably Tony Wong's...
Tuesday: Rest.
Wednesday thru Saturday: back to the defense plant...
Sunday: SHOULD be back on the mighty Housatonic doing a mission agaisnt those who pollute my river / harm my wildlife...

All The Way Alive,
- Earth...

No comments: