Sunday, December 6, 2009

O'Sullivan's Island / Naugatuck River Update.

21.51 West Haven.

Hello Friends !!

Once again, a real good outing on the river. Although I started too late, I still retrieved a whole lot of trash from the waterways around (and in) O'Sullivan's Island. I started right at high tide so I wasted no time getting into the big pond via the secret stream. It was great - got out and checked out the two smaller ponds - then proceeded up the Naugatuck River up towards RT 34, concentrating on whatever I could fish out of the river banks which just last week I cleaned so well. It's frustrating when one does such a thorough clean-up only to return and have it look like nothing ever got done. But this is why I do what I do year round - because the trash never cease's to exist. I saw a huge blue heron - who just kept an eye on me and did not even fly away...

Best part of the trip was heading back in the darkness - and seeing the water starting to freeze up on the bow / fwd deck...

I probably pulled out about 25 gal's worth of trash. If I had the canoe, I would have filled it - but today I had my trusty beater boat "The Dancing Ferret" named after ChrisTDF of Brooklyn NY. It's a Walden Sport Tandem set up as a solo clean-up / rescue boat for winter ops. Incidently, my summer beater boat is an Ocean Kayak "Sidekick" named "Lesile Leeds"...

That's about it for this week. I'll be back out on the river next week.

For the AIR, TREES, WATER, and ANIMALS...
- Big George aka Earth xoxoxo

No comments: