Saturday, December 26, 2009

Naugatuck River Update...

22.07 West Haven.

Today saw a productive trip up the Naugatuck River, something I had not planned on doing - only because I felt the tide was too low. But to my surprise, I made it as far as Division Street and in the process filled yet another 45 gal trash liner. I felt bad because I was supposed to visit David and Cheryl at CT Outdoors today, but the kayaking bug bit real hard after missing about 14 days...

The trip started out as usual at O'Sullivan's Island in the early afternoon. By chance, the Housatonic was not really flowing outwards too bad, so I decided to journey up to the Derby Shelton dam. This was oe nice trip, the snow looked beautiful - and even though it started to rain, I was at peace. I was one with the elements, happy and truly feeling good.

Not much was really going on. I brought hot coffee for the trip, and enjoyed a cup at the dam while slowly drifting by where Mary Grant would occasionally spot me while she was out doing her own clean up work. I wonder what ever happened to her...

The only wildlife spotted was about 35 turkey vultures - all looking at me from the top of the old buildings on Canal Street towards the locks...

Back at O'Sullivan's Island with a light but steady rain, I marveled as to how the lagoon was already frozen. Lots and lots of seagulls... There were several lage sections of ice floating about as well. For the most part, the are looked really good. Of course, there was fishing line to be picked up, but this is the norm and unfortunately not the exception...

Once I decided to extend this trip up the Naugatuck River, I knew I made the right choice. The litter in the river -while heartbreaking - at the same time was a welcome sight - because I knew that I had enough room where I could retrieve most of it - which is exactly what I did.

By dark I was back at the boat launch. Cold, with not so hot coffee - but knowing that I'll be out again tomorrow and Monday as well. I want to say I've made 82 trips this year, I know I've done at least 80 so I should by year end hit close to 85 trips total, which while short of 100 is still pretty damn good.

22.20

While I'm a day late and a dollar short, I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

I'll be back here soon with more updates as far as my defending the Air Trees Water and Animals go...

Easy,
Earth xoxo

No comments: